6 Income Streams To Become A Full-Time Musician [INFOGRAPHIC] and more…
6 Income Streams To Become A Full-Time Musician [INFOGRAPHIC]
The Seattle Office of Film + Music took a look at the annual revenue of up-and-coming fulltime local musicians and how they do it. Three musicians, each from different genres, opened up their 2012 financial records. “It was important for us to find musicians who modeled a middle class living,” said James Keblas, the Director for the Office of Film + Music. “We are trying to show that this kind of a living can be done without having to be rockstar.”
Top 6 Musician Income Streams & Infographic
From the financial analysis, six primary areas were identified which bring most musicians income. While the percentages varied, the categories held true. The musicians also shared tips on how to find success in each category:
3. Merchandise Sales – T-Shirts, branded band-aids, condoms. Tip: You will increase merchandise sales by over 50% if you’re sitting at the table where the goods are being sold.
5. Studio Work – Film & video game music, back up musician. Tip: Make friends with people in the tech world who need music scored for game or app development.
6. Instruction – Teach others music. Tip: Do group lessons and get the biggest paycheck for your time.
click on image to enlarge
The take away for Keblas from this research?
“It’s clear that if you want to make it as a musician, you need to have a business strategy for a majority of these revenue streams, if not all of them. No one said it was easy, but if you have the musical skills and the perseverance, you can do it.”
- 6 Income Streams To Become A Full-Time Musician [INFOGRAPHIC] (hypebot.com)
- This Is a Real Job! How Three Seattle Musicians Are Making It on Music Alone (pianistreview.wordpress.com)
- 6 Things Musicians Should Know That They Don’t Teach You in Music School (djduece.wordpress.com)
- Making Money: What Is Distribution? (music.answers.com)